Especially during this time of the year, common colds and coughs are unfortunately common.
According to Medical News Today,
“A cough, also known as tussis, is a voluntary or involuntary act that clears the throat and breathing passage of foreign particles, microbes, irritants, fluids, and mucus; it is a rapid expulsion of air from the lungs. Coughing can be done deliberately or as part of a reflex. “
Coughing can be extremely annoying and uncomfortable, and most syrups and medications can lead to side-effects like headaches, migraines, and sleeplessness, due to the presence of chemicals like codeine and dextromethorphan.
On the other hand, there are effective natural ways to soothe a cough and eliminate mucus from the lungs, and the following one is among the most effective ones:
- A tablespoon of powdered or fresh, shredded ginger
- A tablespoon of flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1,5 tablespoons of raw honey
Mix the flour and honey, add the olive oil and ginger, stir, and apply the mixture on a napkin.
Use gauze to wrap it, and tape it over the chest. Leave it overnight, and its healing powers will make you sweat more during the night. The numerous medicinal properties of the ingredients of the ginger wrap will relieve your symptoms and improve health in many ways.
According to the RxMed website:
“ the medicinal components of ginger are its essential oils, antioxidants, and oleoresin. Oleoresin, in fact, is known for is antitussive abilities, meaning that it can relieve and suppress coughing. The aromatic compounds found in ginger are the phenylalkylketones, which are known as gingerols, shogaols, and zingerone. They are the chemical compounds that provide ginger with its medicinal qualities and ability to soothe coughs.”
Ginger strengthens the immune system, fights inflammation, regulates cholesterol, helps digestion, and relieves muscle pain. Moreover, it soothes nausea, helps cognition, and prevents cancer.
Honey is rich in antioxidants, so it prevents diseases, soothes colds, coughs, and allergies, balances blood sugar, helps weight loss, and heals burns and wounds.
Olive oil supports brain and heart health, lowers the cancer and diabetes risk, treats inflammation, and prevents strokes.
When it comes to the prevention of coughs, follow the tips below:
- Your diet should be rich in whole foods, organic fruits and veggies, greens, whole grains, seeds, nuts, legumes, and beans
- Add green veggies and fruits to your daily diet
- Drink plenty of water, herbal teas, vitamin water, and green juices
- Avoid sugary drinks, alcohol, and too much coffee
- Add superfoods like ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and honey to your everyday diet
- Start exercising for at least half an hour every day
- Lower stress by reading, meditation, yoga, deep breathing techniques, stretching, or anything that calms your mind and body
- Sleep at least 8 hours every night to provide the needed rest for your body
In this way, you will boost your immune system during the winter, and prevent colds, cough, and illnesses.