The skin is highly susceptible to the aging process, and the first signs of aging appear in the mid-twenties. The aging process is impossible to reverse, but it can be slowed down and the skin can remain younger-looking longer if you consume foods that improve its health.
The best anti-aging foods are rich in nutrients, antioxidants, water, and healthy fats, and the following ones are the most effective to nourish the skin and prevent premature aging:
1. Blueberries are loaded with vitamins A and C, as well as the age-defying antioxidant anthocyanins, which protects the skin from damage due to stress, pollution, and the sun.
2. Sweet potatoes are high in the antioxidant called beta-carotene which is converted into vitamin A, that restores the elasticity of the skin, boosts change in skin cells, and makes the skin soft and looking youthful.
The high amounts of vitamins C and E keep the skin complexion radiant and prevent free radical damage.
3. Watercress is high in potassium, phosphorus, calcium, manganese and vitamins B-1, A, C, B-2, and K, so it boosts skin circulation, helps the delivery of minerals to the body cells, and neutralizes the damage done by free radicals.
4. Papaya is filled with many essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which improve the skin’s elasticity, delay any signs of aging, and prevent wrinkles and fine lines.
It is a rich source of calcium, magnesium, B vitamins, potassium, phosphorus and vitamins C, E, K, and A. Its enzyme, papain, is a potent natural anti-inflammatory agent.
5. Red bell peppers are full of antioxidants that fight aging, carotenoids that have anti-inflammatory properties and prevent sun and toxin damage, and vitamin C, which boosts collagen production.
6. Pomegranate seeds are abundant in vitamin C, a potent antioxidant, that prevents free radical damage and boosts collagen production, and fights inflammation.
7. Spinach is rich in antioxidants that keep the skin smooth and firm, improves the generation of collagen, and is high in lutein, magnesium, plant-based heme iron, and vitamins A, E, C, and K.
8. Garlic detoxifies the skin, fights bacteria, and is rich in antioxidants that keep the skin youthful-looking.
9. Dark chocolate prevents wrinkles, boosts elasticity and the flavanols prevent the ultraviolet rays from damaging the skin.
10. Broccoli fights inflammation and is abundant in lutein, folate, antioxidants, calcium, fiber, and vitamins C and K, so it improves the elasticity of the skin, prevents premature aging, and leaves it glowing and healthy.
11. Tomatoes are powerful anti-aging foods, rich in lycopene, a compound that prevents skin damage, boosts elasticity, and prevents wrinkles.
12. Avocados are potent anti-aging foods, rich in different essential nutrients, such as potassium, B vitamins, and vitamins E, C, K, and A, as well as carotenoids, that prevent damage due to toxins.
13. Nuts are full of omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin E, so they repair the skin tissue, protecting the skin against damage from the ultraviolet rays, and fight inflammation.
Moreover, you should increase the intake of fruits and veggies in general, and choose the ones rich in color, as deep colors indicate that they have a higher radical fighting ability.
Additionally, make sure you follow these tips to get younger-looking skin:
- Keep the body properly hydrated all the time, and drink 8-10 glasses of water daily
- You need to use a good moisturizer that will boost the skin’s cell regeneration.
- Have a skin-care routine that involves cleansing, toning, and moisturizing.
- Change your pillowcases frequently, and choose silk or satin pillowcases, as cotton pillowcases take away all the moisture from your skin and leave it dry, flaky and lead to wrinkles and sleep lines
- Get plenty of rest, as the lack of sleep damages the skin
- Have a regular exfoliation and cleansing routine.
- To prevent early wrinkles and skin cancer, make sure you stay sun- safe by using sunscreens, and choose a sunscreen with a high SPF
- Give up smoking, as this detrimental habit causes poor skin health, pigmentation, and wrinkles
- You should start exercising regularly to maintain the body and skin healthy and try meditation, yoga, and deep breathing exercises to calm the nerves and prevent stress
- You need to lower stress and relax, so regularly indulge in massage, pedicures, manicures, and spas.