Bath bomb can be really fascinating as they have a specific color, amazing scent and are often covered with glitter. However, instead of buying these bombs, it would be much more beneficial to make your own bath bomb and enjoy its healing properties.
Bath bombs have been invented by one of the co-founders of the popular cosmetic company Lush. They are similar to the bath fizzies from the beginning of the 20th century, which gave color and odor to the bath water.
Apparently, it is claimed that the Lush products are of lower quality these days, as dairy has been found in one of their lip tints while they are known to be vegan. Consequently, their bath bombs have been examined as well. This is what is included in their most popular bath bomb, called Sex Bomb:
- Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone- This ingredient has been banned to be involved in fragrances, and it may lead to many allergic reactions. Therefore, it is not recommended in case of sensitive skin.
- Sodium sesqui- carbonate
- Propylene Glycol- This well-known toxin is commonly used in antifreeze, paint, and apparently, in Sex bomb
- Red #4, #27, and #33 as dyes
- Fragrance- Fragrances involve around 4,000 chemicals, numerous of which may cause cancer
Hence, we don’t believe you knew that you are buying fragrance, dyes, carcinogenic toxins and allergy- causing ingredients together with your bath bomb.
Therefore, it is much wiser to take some time and prepare your own toxin- free bath bomb and avoid all these health threats. This is how to prepare a nourishing and healing, natural bath bomb:
You will need:
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of citric acid
- 1/2 cup of Epsom or magnesium salts
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Essential oils
- You can either leave the bath bomb white or color it using some natural foods, like beet juice, which will give it a nice pink color
- Muffin dome or tin molds
Method of preparation:
Its preparation is extremely easy. You should combine the dry and wet ingredients separately and afterward, slowly add the mixture of the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Stir constantly, and note that the citric acid may create a lot of foam.
In the end, add the essential oils and food coloring ingredients.
You can choose between numerous combinations and essential oils, like:
- Jasmine, which is a highly sensual essential oil
- Lemongrass, due to its candy scent
- Lavender, as it is extremely relaxing
- Lavender and orange for sweet relaxation
- Orange and lemon, in order to get a nourishing, inspiring and fresh bath
Furthermore, you can also be creative and create your own essential oils combination. Depending on your taste and preferences, you can add 5-10 drops of the essential oil you like to your bath bomb.
Next, you should oil the muffin tins or dome molds with a bit of oil and pour the prepared mixture into them. You should not fill the molds to the top, as the citric acid expands. Then, leave the mixture to dry at a room temperature in order to harden. As soon as they are sufficiently hard, take them out of the tins or molds and your bath bombs are ready!
Moreover, you can cover it with glitter, and store it in a jar.
This natural bath bomb is extremely beneficial for your health, as it has soothing properties and fantastic scent.
Namely, Epsom and magnesium salts provide numerous benefits, baking soda alkalizes your body, the essential oils relax your body, reduce stress, and the coconut oil nourishes the skin.
Use every single time you are free and enjoy your natural bath bomb. Moreover, it is also a great gift for your dearest ones!