Homemade tomato sauce is always a more delicious alternative than canned varieties sold in supermarkets. It is inexpensive and a lot healthier. Tomato sauce is widely used throughout the world. It is an essential part of Italian pasta, Mexican enchilada sauce and other world popular delicacies.
Homemade tomato sauce is a delicious natural additive and you can combine it with your favorite dish, especially pasta, pizza, meat and others. It is high in vitamins A and C. Tomatoes are an amazing source of lycopene, an antioxidant, and fiber.
- Tomato sauce (fresh tomatoes, basil and garlic)
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- Total: 2h, 10 mins
- Serves for 6-8 people
- 5 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded (peeling is super easy – carve a small “x” on the top of the tomato and soak it in boiling water for 10 seconds, then drop it in ice cold water; the skin will peel off easily)
- 1 carrot (grate and add the first half of the carrot to the sauce; add the other half right before you finish cooking your sauce, and then remove it)
- ¼ cup olive oil, or tallow
- 3 medium-sized onions, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, or more, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 spring fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried
- 1 spring fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried
- 2 bay leaves (remove them after you finish cooking your sauce)
- 2 springs fresh parsley, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
Sauté olive oil, grated carrot, diced onions, and garlic in a large stockpot over medium heat, for 6-8 minutes. The onions should be semitransparent. Add in tomatoes, herbs, and salt.
Simmer your sauce on low for 2-3 hours, or until it gets a darker color. Add half a carrot in the last half an hour to absorb the acid from the tomatoes. After you finish cooking your sauce, remove the herb springs and the carrot.
You can also use an immersion blender and mix your sauce until smooth. If you like your sauce thicker, skip this idea. Combine your freshly prepared sauce with your favorite meal. Keep it in the fridge for up to a week, or can it if you have too much left.
Homemade tomato sauce goes well with:
- Chicken parmesan
- Chicken cacciatore
- Zucchini lasagna