Doctors have recommended the Mediterranean diet as the healthiest one for decades, and it was even named the best diet of 2019 by US News!
This diet has a lot of feta cheese in it, which means that we can actually eat this cheese without feeling guilty that will endanger our health!
Feta is a soft, white, brined cheese, rich in nutrients, and an excellent source of calcium. As a part of Mediterranean cuisine, it is used in all sorts of dishes ranging from appetizers to desserts.
Yet, it is originally from Greece, and is a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) product, which means that it is made in some areas of Greece can be called “feta”. It is made with milk from sheep and goats raised on local grass, and the environment is what gives it its characteristic flavor and unique properties.
Its flavor is a bit sharp and tangy, and can be a bit milder with it also contains goat’s milk. It has a creamy mouthfeel, is produced in blocks and is firm to the touch. As it is made with goat or sheep’s milk, feta is excellent in case you have troubles digesting cow’s milk.
One serving of feta cheese (around 28 grams) contains about:
- 74 calories
- 6 grams of fat
- 260 milligrams sodium
- 1.2 grams carbohydrates
- 4 grams protein
- 1 gram sugar
- 0.2 milligrams riboflavin/vitamin B2 (14 percent DV)
- 140 milligrams calcium (14 percent DV)
- 312 milligrams sodium (13 percent DV)
- 94 milligrams phosphorus (9 percent DV)
- 0.5 micrograms vitamin B12 (8 percent DV)
- 0.1 milligrams vitamin B6 (6 percent DV)
- 4.2 micrograms selenium (6 percent DV)
Here are 4 health benefits of this delicious cheese:
1. It strengthens the bones and lowers the risk of osteoporosis since a 1-ounce serving of feta cheese has 140 milligrams of calcium
2. Being a “raw cheese”, feta has potent probiotic properties and contributes to a healthy and balanced gut, and treats diarrhea, vaginal yeast infections, urinary tract infections, irritable bowel syndrome, and even childhood eczema
3. It is rich in vitamin B12, so it naturally fights anemia
4. It relieves headaches and migraine since it is rich in riboflavin and Vitamin B2
Therefore, try the Mediterranean diet, which is high in colors and flavors, and is rich in this delicious cheese, and boost your health in various ways!