Marty the Cat died after 12 years of patrolling New Hampshire’s Mount Washington as their mascot and helping the observatory staff. In an emotional tribute, they thanked him for his silliness, snuggles, and companionship
Our pets are the perfect companions in life- devoted, loving, loyal, smart, and fun. Therefore, their loss is always a deeply touching experience. After 12 years of patrolling New Hampshire’s Mount Washington as its weather observatory’s mascot, Marty, the beloved cat, has died.
The black Maine coon helped observatory staff, that maintain a weather station on the summit, which is the highest peak in the northeast US, and perform weather and climate research.
The weather station is operated by two alternating teams, who live there for a week at a time. During these long hours, Marty was their ‘special companion’.
According to Mount Washington Summit Operations Manager Rebecca Scholand, Marty succumbed to ‘an unforeseen illness’, adding:
“As a past observer who lived on the summit for four years, I can tell you Marty was a special companion, entertainer and so incredibly loved by observers and state park staff and will be sadly missed.”
- After 12 years patrolling New Hampshire’s Mount Washington, Marty, a black Maine coon cat, has died
- The reason for his death was ‘an unforeseen illness,’ according to Mount Washington Summit Operations Manager Rebecca Scholand
- He was adopted from the North Conway Area Humane Society and moved to the Mount Washington Summit in January 2008
- The staff said Marty was ‘a special companion’ and an ‘entertainer’
- It was planned for the beloved cat to retire in early 2021
The observatory staff wrote an emotional post on Instagram dedicated to their beloved pet:
“For many years Marty has provided the summit staff of the Mount Washington Observatory and State Park with companionship and love. To Marty the Cat, thank you for all your silliness, snuggles, and companionship not only to the summit staff but to everyone who ever met you.”
- The staff posted an emotional tribute to their cat, thanking him for his silliness, snuggles, and companionship
The Mount Washington Observatory staff have had a cat since 1932. Marty the cat was adopted from the North Conway Area Humane Society and moved there in January 2008.
He was supposed to retire from the 6,288-foot summit, or the ‘home of the world’s worst weather’, early in 2021. Yet, the Mount Washington Observatory stated they will continue their feline tradition and has already started looking for his successor.