There is special warning on this one. A teaspoon of honey can improve the bread’s sweatness greatly, but manufacturers often use artificial sweeteners like ‘Sucralose,’ high fructose corn syrup, GMO sugar made from sugar beets that are not the best sugar forms and often bring certain health risks. Almost all commercially baked brands contain sweeteners, this goes especially for ‘light’ bread brands, that often contain more sugar like ‘Arnold Bakery Light.’
Artificial Flavors And Coloring
These are made from petroleum and cause health problems such as hyperactivity in children, allergies and asthma. FDA required special labels for this, to make it easy to find.
However, ‘caramel coloring’ makes people think that this ingredients is a real food. Industrial caramel coloring is a product made by heating ammonia, and experts consider it to be carcinogen when produced in this way. Martin’s potato rolls have Yellow #5 and Yellow #6, and Thomas’s English Muffins also have caramel coloring.
You should not panic, nor learn how to make bread from scratch. The market offers many healthier bread options. You should only be more careful.
The Healthiest Bread Brands
Sprouted grains are technically vegetables. All you should do is simply soak it until it begins to sprout into a little plant. Then ground up the sprouts and make some bread. The digestive system processes sprouts more easily than starchy flour, and sprouts contain more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, compared to whole grains.
The phytic acid is destroyed when the grain sprouts, and your body can easily absorb all the nutrients contained in the grains, which makes them much healthier and better for your body.
Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread by Food for Life contains six different organic sprouted grains and no flour! The sprouted grains contain all 9 essential amino acids, and these actually make up a complete protein. This bread has no preservatives and the best thing about it is that you can keep it in the freezer and take out portions when needed.
Sesame seed bread, English muffins, whole grain tortillas, corn tortillas by Food for Life are just some of the choises offered on the market. There is no doubt that these products are the healthiest on the market, and they are available in almost every healthy food store and even in some conventional stores, in the freezer section.
Manna’s Sunseed bread and Dave’s Killer Bread Sprouted Wheat are a healthy combination of organic sprouted wheat and seeds.
Ancient Grains (spelt, quinoa, amaranth, millet, sorghum) and Gluten-Free -- Unlike wheat, these grains are often referred to as ancient because they have not had any changes for thousands of years.
They are rich in nutrients, and many of the grains are used to make gluten-free bread. When you buy bread and avoid gluten, always check if it is labeled as ‘gluten-free,’ because not all ancient grains are gluten-free and sometimes they may be blended with wheat.
Manna produce great gluten-free bread enriched with brown rice, sorghum, millet, amaranth, quinoa and chia seeds. Note that almost all gluten-free breads contain sugar in the form of honey, molasses, agave nectar or evaporated cane juice.
We have made a quick list of the healthier bread brands:
Sprouted Grain Breads
- Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread – Food for Life (all varieties – 7 grains, sesame, genesis, flax, cinnamon raisin, tortillas, muffins)
- Sunseed Bread – Manna
- Banana Walnut Hemp Bread – Mann
- Sprouted Multi-Grain Bread – Rudi’s (contains added sugar)
- Sprouted Wheat Bread – Dave’s Killer Bread (contains added sugar)
- Sprouted Wheat Multi-Grain Bread – Alvarado St. Bakery (contains added sugar)
- Buckwheat Bread – Happy Camper’s (contains added sugar)
- Gluten-Free Rice Almond Bread – Food for Life (contains added sugar)
- Gluten-Free Exotic Black Rice Bread – Food for Life (contains added sugar)
- Gluten-Free Super Chia Bread – Nature’s Path (contains added sugar)
- Good Morning Millet Toaster Cakes – Ancient Grains Bakery (contains added sugar)
- Gluten-Free Deli Rye Style Bread – Canyon Bakehouse (contains added sugar)
Ancient Grain Breads
- Gluten-Free Ancient Grains Bread – Manna (contains added sugar)
- Spelt Ancient Grain Bread – Rudi’s (contains added sugar)
- Good Seed Spelt Bread – Dave’s Killer Bread (contains added sugar)
Make sure you always choose bread that contains real certified organic ingredients. The wheat used to make most of the bread brands is often heavily sprayed with pesticides. Always choose certified organic products and you will avoid exposing your organism to GMOs and save yourself from the chemical additives responsible for a number of diseases and disorders.