Certainly, our diet needs to be varied in order to have a balanced vitamin-to-mineral status. Being aware of the stressful times we live in, and the fact that today fruits and vegetables are not grown as they were 40 years ago, many of us go for dietary supplements.
If one is supplementing with vitamins and minerals, it is important to know that it is best to take vitamins in the morning because they provide vitality, and minerals in the evening because they have the ability to calm us.
It is difficult to cover just five alkaline foods, because I can list at least 50, but here are the top five:
-- Buckwheat -This is an excellent replacement for wheat.. It contains rutin which supplies energy, and is valuable in the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular diseases, good for those who bruise easily, and also for women who have broken capillaries. It is an excellent choice for every meal throughout the day.
-- Swiss chard, cabbage, sauerkraut -- These foods are often mentioned in the books from the Nutrition of the 21st Century series, regardless of whether they are based on male or female health.
They have anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-carcinogenic properties. Many of us would throw away the water when cooking these types of vegetables, mostly because the smell is not very pleasant, but next time do not throw this water away. Use it for making sauces, or better yet, drink it!
-- Melon -- Melon is an excellent source of vitamin A (beta-carotene) , B1, B5, B6, C, E, potassium, vegetable fiber, and folic acid. This combination of nutrients gives its power to energize us. Melon is an excellent anticoagulant that thins the blood, and reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke, which are unfortunately on the rise.
-- Flax seed and flaxseed oil -- These are one of my favorite foods to use. They are rich in lignans, which help to prevent breast, uterine, and prostate cancer. Their high content of essential omega-3 fatty acids makes them ideal for any detox program. They are also an ideal remedy for constipation, and can help reduce cholesterol and regulate blood sugar. I personally take flax seeds as part of my breakfast. They can also easily be added to smoothies.
-- Olive oil -- This oil is one of the top alkaline foods. It is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, contains antioxidant vitamin E, which not only reduces the risk of damage and inflammation, but also helps in lessening hot flashes in menopausal women.
The polyphenols contained in olive oil have an anti-inflammatory effect, and can help diminish the symptoms of asthma, as well as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
The nutrition in many developed Western countries is, for the most part, acidic, and people prefer eating foods that create acidity in the body.If you are wondering which are the top five worst foods that create acidity in the body, they would most certainly be refined products like junk food and refined sugar-loaded cereals, caffeine, alcohol, and artificial sweeteners.
These detrimental sweeteners that are added to different commercialized drinks and foods (just to make the customer buy them), are often considered sugar-free, which is absolutely not true. Smoking also increases acidity in the body.
Eat these foods if you want to alkalize your body:
- Brussels sprouts
- Cabbage, sauerkraut
- Oriental mushrooms such as shitake and maitake
- Mushrooms such as chanterelle and button mushrooms
- Seaweeds such as nori, kombu, wakame
- Flax and flax seed oil
- Soy and soy products
- Soybean sprouts
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Green beans
- Lemon and lime
- Olives and olive oil
- Green peas
- Wild rice
- Sesame seeds and tahini (sesame seed paste)
Food you should be careful about:
- Proteins -- Most of the acidic reactions in the body are usually caused by proteins — mostly of animal origin — and it is considered that for every excess 10 g of protein we consume -- we lose 100 mg of calcium through the urine. So be careful about protein intake.
- Carbonated drinks -- They are extremely rich in phosphorus, a mineral that stimulates the loss of calcium when taken in large quantities.
- Coffee -- No more than three cups of coffee a day, because it increases the acidity in the body. Some statistics suggest that frequent consumption of coffee could increase the occurrence of osteoporosis by as much as 82 percent.
- Refined foods -- White bread, cakes and pastries increase the acidity in the body and push the calcium out of the bones to regulate the acidic reaction in the body
- Dark tea
- Fatty foods
- Smoking -- increase the acidity of the body.
Featured image: Raw For Beauty