So, you’re probably familiar with the process of digestion: You consume food, you chew it, swallow it and it makes its way down your stomach. Once it reaches your stomach, the food is broken down by the digestive juices.
The nutrients from the broken down food are absorbed by the bloodstream and spread to the organs in your body and the waste is passed into your intestines, where it is further broken down until it makes its way out of your body.
However, while this lesson is a really short synopsis of the digestive process you learned about in biology class all those years ago, and you may be familiar with it, there may be a part of the process that you aren’t familiar with: Probiotics.
What are Probiotics?
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that you need to maintain optimal health. They provide a number of benefits for the body, and they are particularly beneficial for digestion. These live bacteria and yeasts actually help to clean out your gut, making it feel less bloated and removing the toxins that can build up inside of it.
They are a naturally occurring element in the body; but many people don’t produce enough of them. As a result, they can experience unpleasant symptoms. Fortunately, by consuming foods that contain high amounts of probiotics or by taking a supplement, you can increase the probiotics in your body and thus improve your digestion.
Signs You Need Probiotics
So, how do you know whether or not you need to start taking a supplement or eating more foods that contain probiotics? Here are some tell-tale signs that indicate you need to up these live bacteria and enzymes in your body.
- You have issues with your skin. If your skin is excessively dry, there’s a good chance that the reason is because of a low level of probiotics.
- You have weak immunity.
- You have abnormal sleep patterns. Probiotics can actually aid in a healthy sleep cycle. If you aren’t sleeping well, or you are sleeping at abnormal times, start taking a probiotic and your sleep will likely improve.
- You have yeast overgrowth
- You crave excessive amounts of sugar. A sweet tooth is normal, but not when you are craving candies, cookies and ice cream on a constant basis. If you are always craving sweets, it could be your body’s way of telling you that you need to start consuming more probiotics.
- You have problems with your gut. Do you have issues with constipation? Are you experiencing irritable bowel syndrome? Do you constantly feel bloated and gassy, or suffer from cramps after you eat? If so, then step up the amount of probiotics in your system, as they will help you digest your food more effectively.
- You have mood disorders
If you are experiencing any of these signs or symptoms, start increasing the amount of probiotics you consume either via your diet or a supplement. You’ll be amazed what more probiotics will do for your health.