Celebrate Independence Day with our easy, healthy 4th of July recipes.
1. July 4th Appetizer -- Simple Lemon Fruit Dip!
- 1 cup cold almond milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Assorted fresh fruit
In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Whisk in sour cream. Chill until serving. Serve with fruit. Yield: 1-2/3 cups.
2. July 4th Salad Recipe -- Pina Colada Fruit Salad !
- 1-1/2 cups green grapes
- 1-1/2 cups seedless red grapes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 8 ounces pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 10 ounces frozen non-alcoholic pina colada mix, thawed
- 1/2 cup pineapple-orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
In a serving bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the pina colada mix, juice and extracts. Pour over fruit; toss to coat. Chill until serving.
3. Lemon Vinaigrette Potato Salad Recipe !
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
1.Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, herbs, vinegar, lemon peel, salt and pepper.
2.Drain potatoes. Place in a large bowl; add onion. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss to coat. Serve warm or chill until serving.
4. 4th of July Grilling Recipes -- Grilled Vegetable Recipe !
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 3 small carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Place 3 tablespoons marinade in a large resealable plastic bag. Add vegetables; seal bag and turn to coat. Marinate 1-1/2 hours at room temperature.
Transfer vegetables to a grilling grid; place grid on grill rack. Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat 8-12 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally.
Place vegetables on a large serving plate. Drizzle with remaining marinade. Yield: 6 servings.
Advice: If you do not have a grilling grid, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.
5. 4th Of July Healthy Snacks !
-- Fruit Kebabs – Strawberries, Blueberries & Banana make a perfect snack on the 4th of July, & it’s healthy and easy!
-- Toast Layered with blueberries, banana and raspberries! mmmm yummy!
-- Thin pieces of watermelon and blueberries! interesting, healthy and easy!