Life is beautiful and challenging at the same time, and it seems that no one knows the key to eternal happiness.
Behavioral scientists have spent a lot of time studying what makes us happy, and as happiness can predict health and longevity, happiness scales can measure social progress and the success of public policies. Yet, it does not just happen to anyone, and we all have the power to make the needed changes in order to set us on course for a happier life.
Dr. Kristin Neff, a University of Texas psychologist, and the author of “Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself” reminds us that it takes practice to be nice to yourself, but we all need to actively and consciously develop the habit of self-compassion.
Therefore, there are things we can all do to make us much more satisfied with life, much happier, more successful and fulfilled.
1. You are the creator of your destiny, so you are the only one who can change your life
2. No matter how hopeless you are now, remember that everything bad or complicated in life has an end or a solution
3. Do your best to help others
4. Walk at least 30 minutes daily, and enjoy the nature that surrounds you
5. Eat your breakfast alone, share your lunch with a friend, and leave the dinner to an enemy
6. Hatred brings too much negativity in your life, so try to forgive and move on
7. Accept the differences, and you do not need to agree with everyone
8. You are a unique person, with special qualities, so you should never compare to others
9. Find at least 10 minutes daily to enjoy the complete silence and relax
10. Drink plenty of water and tea, and focus on vegetables and fruits
11. Try to smile to other people, to spread the positive energy and brighten up their day
12. Start every morning with a prayer and ask for guidance in life
13. Start eating a healthier diet, and avoid unhealthy, processed foods
14. Remain positive, avoid negative thoughts, and do your best to not dwell on the past
15. Relax and enjoy the present moment
16. Hope for a better tomorrow even in moments when life isn’t fair
17. Enjoy the present moment, and think about your future, without looking back with regrets
18. You should always keep in touch with your loved ones, relatives and friends, as they give life a deeper meaning
19. Don’t stress about what other people think of you
20. Time heals all