Epsom salt baths or foot soaks are among the best ways to relax the body, detoxify the system, and reap all the benefits of magnesium. Epsom salts are naturally occurring pure mineral compounds made of sulfate and magnesium, which have been found in a saline spring in Epsom, Surrey, England.
This salt has a plethora of extraordinary uses, and when added to a hot bath, magnesium and sulfate are broken down and readily absorbed through the skin where they quickly enter the bloodstream. Then, it pulls toxins out from the body via reverse osmosis and allows the magnesium and sulfates to enter it.
Magnesium is involved in multiple functions in the body and is needed in more than 325 enzymes, while sulfates maintain and build healthy joints, and skin and nervous tissue.
Therefore, Epsom salt baths relieve:
- Complications from sunburn
- Stiff joints and tight muscles
- Arthritis pain and swelling
- Ingrown toenails
- Insulin sensitivity
- Poor circulation
- Soreness from diarrhea
- Swollen and tired feet
The relaxing properties of this bath have been proven and used for centuries. Namely, stress reduces magnesium levels in the body and raises the levels of adrenaline. Since it replenishes the levels of magnesium in the body, this salt reduces tension and soothes the body and mind.
Moreover, magnesium boosts the production of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain, increases energy and stamina by encouraging the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy packets made in the cells, and lowers adrenaline, treating irritability.
You will also drastically improve sleep quality if you enjoy a warm Epsom salt bath just before bedtime.
Now, here is how to prepare a nice, hot and relaxing, Epsom salt detox bath and treat aches, relieve stress, chronic pain, and migraines, and soothe the body and mind:
Epsom Salt Bath Recipe
- 1-2 cups of Epsom salt
- 1 cup of baking soda (optional)
- 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 10-20 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
Fill the bathtub up with warm water, and add the salts. Soak for about 20 minutes three times a week.
You can also choose to boost the effects of the bath by adding essential oils, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar.
The addition of lavender oil will boost the relaxing and medicinal benefits of the bath, and invigorate the skin.
If you add apple cider vinegar, the bath will offer even more powerful detoxifying properties, and you will rebalance the pH of the skin, and treat fungal or microbial infections.
Baking soda has strong cleansing and antifungal qualities, it will alleviate irritations, and leave the skin soft.
There have been certain references that the amount of Epsom salt used should correlate with your body weight, as follows:
- Children under 60 lbs (27 Kg): ½ cup to a standard size bath
- Individuals between 60-100 lbs (27 kg- 45 kg): 1 cup
- Individuals between 100-150 lbs (45 kg – 68 kg): 1½ cups
- Individuals over 150 lbs (68 kg): 2 cups
On the other hand, Epsom salt foot soaks help in the treatment of weak immune system, inflammation, athlete’s foot, corns and calluses, hammertoe, plantar fasciitis, toenail fungus, sprains, gout, muscle soreness and bruises, painful bunions, flat feet or tarsal tunnel syndrome.
All you have to do is to fill up a large bucket with hot water, add ½ cup Epsom salt and soak feet for 10 minutes. Repeat three times a week.
Additionally, Epsom salt offers countless other health benefits, as it can naturally whiten teeth, exfoliate the skin, improve hair volume and treat a dry scalp. Also, it treats constipation as it has laxative effects.
This versatile salt can be used in numerous ways in the household and the garden as well:
- Mix it with baby oil to use it as a hand wash
- You can use it to clean the bathroom tiles
- Sprinkle it close to the entry points to prevent slugs
- You can use it to clean the detergent buildup on washing machines
- Use Epsom salts on your lawn and in your garden to naturally get rid of plant pests and keep them at bay
- Add Epsom salts to your houseplants to fertilize them
- Magnesium sulfate crystals provide vital nutrients that prevent the loss of green color in plants
You can find Epsom salt in most pharmacies and health stores, and use it in various ways to improve your health.