Sure, you are probably aware of the fact that squeezing some lemon into your water can provide you with a number of health benefits. It helps to speed up the metabolism and aids in digestion, among other things.
However, did you know that it’s not just the juice of the lemon – or even the meat of this citrus fruit – that is good for you? The peel actually possesses some amazingly impressive health benefits.
Here’s a look at 10 of the wonderful benefits that lemon peels can provide.
- Lowers Bad Cholesterol – Not all cholesterol is bad for you; there’s actually good cholesterol that helps to keep your heart healthy. However, if you have high levels of LDLs, the bad cholesterol, lemon peels could actually help to lower them. Lemon peels are high in flavonoids, which are awesome at lowering that bad cholesterol.
- Boost Bone Health – Lemon peels are an excellent way to boost the health of your bones. They contain a high amount of calcium – the stuff that your bones need to regenerate – as well as a high dose of vitamin C.
- Gets Rid of Toxins – Toxic elements get into the body and they can make you weak, lower your immune system and actually contribute to a greater likelihood of being addicted to alcohol. The citrus bioflavonoids in lemon peels can help to flush out those toxins and create a healthier environment.
- Lowers Stress Levels – Oxidative stress can do terrible things to the body. Eating lemon peels can reduce that oxidative stress and thus boost your health.
- Combats Cancer – Did you know that lemon peels are actually used to prevent and treat cancer? It’s true! Lemon peels contain salvestrol Q40 and limonene, two compounds that can help combat cancer cells that may be present in the body.
- Maintains and Improves Oral Health and Hygiene – If you want to have a brighter, whiter smile, better smelling breath and healthier teeth, then you want to add some lemon peels to your diet. They are high in vitamin D, which is vital for your oral health and hygiene. They are also high in citric acid, which helps to fight oral health problems.
- Aids in Weight Loss – If you want to shed some weight, add some lemon peels to your diet. They have Pectin in them, which helps to promote weight loss.
- Keeps the Heart Healthy – You can keep your heart healthy by consuming lemon peels. They have high levels of potassium, which is important for maintaining healthy blood pressure. They also help to prevent heart disease, heart attacks and diabetes.
- Keeps the Skin Healthy – Want to keep your skin looking young or fight off acne? Use lemon peels. Apply them to your skin and you’ll have a glowing complexion.
- Cleanses the Liver – The liver is super important to your health. Lemon peels can help to clean out fats in the liver and keep it healthy.
Image Via: greenhornwisdom.wordpress.com